Tuesday, May 26, 2015

A busy birthday and Memorial Day week

We have been busy busy busy these last few days.  My birthday was last Wednesday and I am the ripe old age of 32!  My son was sure to point it out to everyone he came in contact with that day 'My mom is 32 now'  I had some gift cards and a nice card waiting on my bathroom counter from my husband.  I went out to lunch with some friends and some even brought me gifts -- totally unexpected but appreciated.  I just wanted to spend some time with my favorites before we move. 

I also received a really great gift from my IPs.  I cannot get past the fact that they know me so well and that their gifts are so thoughtful.  They gave me this beautiful trinket dish which is perfect considering I keep my 'everyday' jewelry in a mason jar on the counter.  I packed it back up and put it away so I can display it in a beautiful place once we move, but I was still floored at such a beautiful sentiment.



My husband also surprised me with a babysitter and we went out to a nice dinner at a seafood place on the water.  I unfortunately could not enjoy my meal because I was feeling under the weather.  That under the weather continued through the rest of the week and Saturday I suffered from a really bad headache all day.  If I continued feeling like this, there is no way that I could go to the Coca-Cola 600 race the next night with our kids in Charlotte, NC.  Friday we played 18 holes of golf for the Marine Corps Ball benefit.  It was the first time I have ever played 18 holes at once and it was quite a day.  It was long and I was so tired by the end -- but you know, I am not a bad golfer!



I have been coughing and having a sore throat compounded with the headache and I was miserable.  I woke up Sunday morning and vowed to make the best of it even though I was feeling fatigued and just down right yucky.  We dropped Piper off at a friends and made the 4.5 hour drive to Charlotte.  We took Leah and Weston and we weren't sure how this was going to pan out, but it actually worked really well.  The kids enjoyed the race immensely especially since they each picked their own favorite drivers with no help or urging of my own *cough Kasey Kahne cough*  Weston chose Kyle Busch because he likes the M&M car (Busch drove the Skittles car this weekend) and Leah chose Carl Edwards because she likes how he does the back flip off of the car when he wins. 

Yesterday was Memorial Day here in the States (I know I have some international readers).  Memorial Day has been a somber affair.  Essentially is is remembering those who have given all when fighting for our country.  Each of the drivers chose a fallen service member that they put the name on the top of their windshield and that Angel was riding with the driver for the race.  As a military spouse, things like this shake me to the core.  Knowing that there are wives out there who will never put their arms around their husbands or kids who will never be tucked in by their mom or dad again just gets me in the feels.  When these men and women are honored, it chokes me up.  We are not immortal. Life is never guaranteed.  It was special to be at the race and to see these heroes stories told over the jumbotron at the race.  They all have a story.  They all left behind loved ones far too early.  The American Sniper's (Chris Kyle) wife (Taya) received a patriotism award and spoke at the race. Also the spouse of one of the fallen Marines in the helicopter crash in Florida was the Grand Marshal of the race.  Charlotte sure knows how to show the importance of our military families!


Just some photos from various points in the race




Leah Made a Coke for her best friend Izzie!
Weston made a Coke for his Uncle Kraig in Wisconsin (That's his best buddy!)

Parachuters before the race started


Gigantic flag for the National Anthem

Weston excited to see his driver go by.  He watched the no 18 car like a hawk.







As a total side note, I have never liked the Busch brothers. I have always thought they were cocky and had terrible attitudes.  Then I read an article about Kyle Busch and the struggle he had with his wife with infertility.  After conceiving their son with IVF, they set up a benefit to help others suffering infertility.  So check it out!  It is through the REACH clinic in Charlotte NC.

Kyle Busch & Wife Face Infertility Woes

No comments:

Post a Comment