Monday, February 5, 2018

We are almost 32 weeks - MFM & OB Update

At close to 30 weeks, we had an appointment with the MFM for a growth scan.  Everything looked great with peanut.  She is in the 52nd percentile and growing just as she should.  Everything is perfect with her.  Here are some photos of her -- She was head down and facing the back so the photos aren't the best, but it's probably the last peek we have at her until she arrives on her birthday!

Fortunately the guys got to come to this appointment too - so they got to see her moving and all of her stats first hand.
Head on photo

Profile with hand by face
When I first got there, they took my vitals.  My pulse was high and my blood pressure borderline high.  I have been watching both closely as the last surrogacy I was induced due to Pregnancy Induced Hypertension.  My normal non-pregnant blood pressure is usually 90/60 and pregnant is usually 110/70.  Lately my BP has been in the upper 130s/upper 80s which is not good.  The blood pressure issues didn't start until around 36 weeks last time.  Clinically, they are not concerned.  They look at clinical levels rather than levels for the person. They induce at 37 wks if your levels are 140/90 twice - more than 6 hours apart.  I do have an at home monitor to check this and make sure nothing gets past me, but when it is higher than my normal, I feel pretty crummy. 

As for the pulse, my 130s almost got me sent to labor and delivery for monitoring that day.  The MFM was concerned enough to want me to go and get an EKG done.  I told him that this has been my normal for every single pregnancy  Each pregnancy, I have runs of sinus tach and have had cardiac consults as well as holter monitors for 4 out of 4 pregnancies.  By the end of the ultrasound exam (after being on the pulse ox the entire time), my heart rate was down to 100 and he was okay with me going home but getting an EKG at my next OB appt the next week. 

Before leaving, he started talking about how I am pretty high risk for some things.  Hemorrhage.  Cesarean.  Two words that tremendously scare me.  As we all sat there, he spoke of how if he was the one caring for me, he would have blood products on hand and give me a new medication that aids in clotting even if I wasn't exhibiting signs of hemorrhage since I am at a higher risk since this will be my 5th delivery.  Further, with past dystocia, they have started talking to me about cesarean to help prevent dystocia again.

I can't help but feel this cloud over my head.  With that, we left knowing that I would follow up with my doctor the next week.  Before my appointment, I get an email from my doctor asking me if I would like to schedule a cesarean to prevent dystocia.  No.  I would not.

I get to the appointment the next week and while I am there, the high risk committee (My chart was referred to them by the MFM) is calling my doctor twice urging me to have a scheduled cesarean as it is somehow safer for the baby and for me.  The genetics and presentation are different this time.  The baby does not have the same genes and hopefully will not be a solid 9 lbs when induced early.  Also, hopefully this little girl will kindly not be born with a nuchal hand (she was born with her hand on
 her cheek and even had the bruising to prove it!)  I am all about minimizing risk.  My personal doctor told me that she would advise me closer to delivery if she thinks I need a cesarean, but at this time, she is not asking me to schedule one.  She also has the chance of hemorrhage on her radar though I am not grand multipara until the 6th delivery. 

So with all of this, I am crossing off each day I am pregnant, trying to get the black cloud of doubt out of my head, and knowing that this pregnancy is going to be nice and healthy and the delivery is going to be perfect and everyone is going to be healthy because every other pregnancy has been like that!  Why do medical professionals instill fear into us?  I am glad my personal doctor is on my team, she makes me feel a lot more relaxed -- but there is still that nagging voice of the other....

No comments:

Post a Comment