Monday, March 12, 2018

Baby Shower, OB Appt, and almost 37 weeks! Oh and a bonus trip to L&D!

In true Melanie fashion - I am weeks behind.  In all fairness, these last few weeks have been insane with volunteering and business.

As an update to my last blog about being nominated for Military Spouse of the Year, I did win the base level so I get to join in all of the festivities this year including the Gala.  Here's an article written by the base newspaper.

Right after this article was published, we got to celebrate this sweet baby I am carrying for E&C.  It was such an honor to be invited to their baby shower and to get to meet their friends and family.  The shower was beautiful and the hosts Ashley & Al were so warm and inviting!  The decorations and food were perfect -- especially the cake and the amazing Macaroons that E made -- the raspberry sauce and homemade cream on the top ... I cannot explain out delectable they were!







I felt so honored that they asked me if I wanted to have my husband or a friend come so my bestie that the guys have met got the honors of being my hot date to the babyshower.



Today was my (almost) 37 wk check up.  I have had a busy few weeks with bookfair and bingo for our PTO and last week, I was exhausted after doing 36 hours of volunteering.  A few days, I had 15k+ step days and my body was screaming at me to slow down.  Contractions were coming on strong.  My feet were swelling.  My back was killing me. And TMI - I was wet more than usual.  Not the usual end of pregnancy mess, not pee.  Just wet. 

I got to the hospital to see my OB and was waiting in line to be checked in.  The lady in front of me wanted to read every sign on the counter -- and ask every question she had.  Suddenly, I felt like I was going to go down.  Heart was racing, pounding. I got sweaty and just felt bad.  I crouched down to the floor and a nurse came over to help me to a chair.  I have felt off all day -- just exhausted and exerted but nothing truly "off". 

I got to the back and my BP was higher than it has been 131/86 but everything else was okay. I also put on 4 lbs in just over a week (annoying considering prior to this, I had only gained 15 lbs the ENTIRE pregnancy).  I saw the doctor and she asked questions.  Measured fundal height (measuring exactly on time).  She also did a quick ultrasound to make sure baby is head down and that the fluid was measuring okay.  It took a bit of looking around but the fluid measured okay.  Baby's heart rate was in the 130s.   She wanted me to run upstairs just to get checked to make sure I wasn't leaking fluid as well as just get on the monitors to be sure all was okay.

Three hours later -- All is well.  I had a nice (but new to the hospital) doctor with the other new doctor who he was training.  The nurses were all tied up -- a lot of deliveries happening today.  It was the blind leading the blind with those two but they were nice and funny.  They did a speculum exam and checked for fluid.  Did a test to send to the lab.  Couldn't find the other test so they had to go find the nurse to get it.  She did the second test. Then they hooked me up to the monitors.  I was contracting every 5-7 minutes.  Baby looked good and my BP returned to normal.  After a while the nurse came in and said to go ahead and get dressed while I wait for the doctor to discharge me.  When the doctor came in to discharge me, he asked me if I was feeling the contractions and asked me how often I felt I was having them.  Every 5-7 minutes that I have noticed over the last few days.  Some more painful than others.  So of course they want to check my cervix even after I am dressed....  Takes a bit of time to get these clothes off and on anymore LOL

So they checked and nothing huge to report here.  Long high cervix dilated to 1cm.  So not exciting at all.  I was hoping that since they were in there digging, at least I could be a few cm dilated.  They also did a quick ultrasound to check for fluids again.  The deepest pocket of fluid was 5.7 and its considered adequate at 5.  All of the swabs came back negative.... so on my way I went ....

Most likely I will deliver the last week of March.  This is simply because it would be most inconvenient.  My kids will all be home for spring break.  My husband will be on podium teaching his students (makes it more challenging for him to get off to watch the kids all day while they are home from school).  Oh and also, the most amazing doctor ever is on duty -- at night.  So if I deliver at night, she will deliver me.  If I deliver during the day -- I get whomever is on call.  So the last week of March is what I am thinking for sure!

So anytime between now and April 12, expect a baby.... you know, any variation of normal!  But at least the guys have more time to finish getting the nursery and hospital bags together! 

As for me... I am still hoping for more macaroons and a St. Paddy's Day baby all the while I am contracting every 5-7 minutes -- well wishes to me for sanity friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment