Monday, September 30, 2019

A possible answer to headaches and fatigue

So we are pushing on 17 wks now!  Yay for that but boo for me feeling really bad these last few weeks. I just haven't felt like getting on the computer and doing much of anything.

First -- Let's talk about how Rowan is going to have a SISTER!!! The guys are super excited to have another girl but realized that this means they will be paying for TWO weddings now 😆
  
Since pregnancy started, I have been having horrific several day headaches.  Last weekend, I got a headache that woke me up in the middle of the night Thursday.  By Friday morning, the pain was searing and I was totally debilitated and didn't move from the couch for 24 hours except to refill my water and use the bathroom.  It continued into Saturday and finally I contacted the midwives.  They called in a new medicine but wanted me to go to the ER to get checked out but I insisted that my BP was normal and that it was just a headache.  I didn't want to be drugged up and sent home.  The headache lessened by Saturday evening but was right back on Sunday morning.  Finally, by Monday, I had the semblance of a normal person again.  The headache reappeared on Saturday of this weekend and Sunday.  Many of the medicines they have suggested do nothing for the headaches.

They have me on Vitamin D, Magnesium, B2 and now... iron.  I went to the midwife on Tuesday and they checked my ferritin level.  Ferritin is indicative of your iron reserves.  Mine is quite low and now I am on a high dose of iron twice a day.  The iron is tearing up my stomach and many of the easier to digest alternatives are not high enough of a dose for my ferritin level.  I have vomited more in the last week since I started the iron supplements than I have this entire pregnancy.  It has been a rough few weeks but I am hoping the iron will make my head feel better and I can go on a lower dose soon but increasing iron takes time. I have switched to liquid iron as it supposedly is easier to digest but it tastes like I am drinking blood, even when mixed in vitamin C rich juice so I have to choke it down.  Low ferritin is not the same as having anemia.  Though many of the symptoms are the same.  The rest of my blood work is normal but my iron reserves are being used instead of the more recent ingestion of iron.  The low ferritin causes nausea, vomiting, fatigue, headaches and fainting.  All of which I have experienced this pregnancy.  Multiple pregnancies and nursing close together can cause low ferritin levels in women.  The good news, we caught it early enough that it shouldn't be a problem for delivery.  Not correcting it can cause bleeding issues during delivery and pre-eclampsia during pregnancy. If I cannot tolerate the oral supplements or they are not increasing my ferritin levels, then likely a iron infusion would be indicated. 

Here are the 3 missing bump photos from the last few weeks:










Maternity clothes: I pulled them all out and washed them and sorted them and I am wearing a few things.  The side panel Old Navy pants are most comfortable. Just bought more long sleeved shirts for our Colorado winters.
Stretch marks? No 

Sleep:  It has been rough with my constant headaches and nausea
Best moment this week:  We went to two Brewers Baseball games at Coors Field
Movement:  Yep, been feeling her moving for a few weeks

Food cravings: No cravings, just lack of appetite with feeling bad.
Labor signs: Too Early
Symptoms: Fatigue, nausea, just overall funk (Same as last week) and add faintness every now and then (Same answer from before)
Wedding rings on or off? My expensive set is feeling tight
Happy or moody most of the time? This week I have been happy most of the time as long as I am not feeling bad
Miss anything yet? Still Margaritas (Probably will be this answer until 40 wks!)
Looking forward to:  Bermuda cruise in less than 2 wks

No comments:

Post a Comment