Thursday, May 14, 2015

You say potatoes, I say potatoes.

Okay that loses a little bit in translation when it is written and not said.  The point of this post is to explain why I have gained 16 lbs since the start of meds!

During my super ill stage, all I wanted was potatoes.  Potatoes in any form. I felt like I was rattling off types of potatoes the same way that Forrest Gump did in the movie.  Potato soup, hash browns, french fries, baked potatoes, oven roasted potatoes, peeled raw potatoes, scalloped potatoes.  I wanted them all!  It was the only thing that made my stomach feel settled so all day I ate potatoes for a few weeks.  I told my IM about this who told the IF.  Apparently, IF's dad is a good Irish man who likes potatoes-- like he once had a meat and 3 potatoes with that meal.  So I will blame this strong desire for potatoes on genetics-- it must be the Paternal Grandfather bringing on these cravings!  Now I just need to limit the potatoes to 1-2 servings a day. I might be pregnant but I can't use that excuse to let my weight get out of hand.  When the pregnancy is over, I have to lose every pound so I am aiming for that 25-30 lbs recommended.  Starting this many pounds up is hard, but it is very common in IVF because the extra hormones involved!

Also I had a quick appointment today with my OB.  She just went over the ultrasound results and basically it said -- one healthy baby with a heartbeat and there was no talk about the SCH or any reason for bleeding.  Just seems to be the 'norm' for IVF and I just need to relax about it! 

Finally, since I had a great ultrasound, it means I can start weaning from meds next week.  I change from progesterone shots to vaginal suppositories (these things are a real treat!).  I use 2 a day for 2 weeks then I am done with progesterone. I continue the estrogen every third day until June 4 as well.  I am glad that the shots are coming to an end because my bum is quite sore lately.  My husband says that the needle gives resistance when he tries to administer the shot. I don't have lumps but I do have a lot of bruising so seeing the end of the injections will be a huge highlight!

Next up is the ultrasound on June 1 and the weekend after that we will be moving up to the DC area.  A lot happening in the next couple of weeks -- this week is an airshow, next week is my birthday and next weekend we are taking an overnight trip to Charlotte Motor Speedway because we got free tickets to the Nascar race so now my kids get to experience that (minus Piper -- she will be with a babysitter!)

No comments:

Post a Comment