Monday, February 8, 2016

Video from the entire process & Crying Doula's Birth Story!

I made this little video to show photos from the entire journey. I am no master at making videos but I did what I could!  The first song just sounds perfect for our journey.  We counted on each other the entire time and we were such a great team!  It is certainly bittersweet that the journey is over now, but I am so happy to have taken the path to get here.  Surrogacy is a very life enriching journey for everyone involved!

Here is Crying Doula's version of birth. One of the things she didn't add in there was about our quiet time in the bathroom. I found myself in the bathroom about every 10 minutes during the birth.  This is where we had our most private conversations and she checked in on how I was doing emotionally and physically where I didn't have to hide my thoughts from anyone.  Having a doula is an amazing thing.  Having a doula for the surrogacy was necessary for me.  Gaining a friend out of it... priceless!!



The Birth of Baby Teacup from the Perspective of “The Crying Doula”




In September of 2015 I received a few notifications on Facebook where I was mentioned as a referral for a local woman looking for an “excellent doula” for a “unique situation” with availability near Christmas.  I gave it some thought and decided that if I felt a good connection, I would be willing to be available at Christmas for a special birth.  Fortunately, when I reached out, I met Melanie.  As all of you know as her friend or even just getting to know her through the blog—she is an incredible, selfless, and strong woman—and agreeing to support her during Baby Teacup’s birth was an easy decision.  When she shared with me that she was a gestational surrogate I was nervous as I knew very little about surrogacy but honored at the same time to be able to support such an incredible woman and gain knowledge about surrogacy in the process.  The excitement got even sweeter when I read her blog and got to know L&E through her beautiful words.

 Melanie and I had a few prenatal meetings where we got to know one another, discussed her birth preferences, and she taught me Surrogacy 101.  What I found was that not only was Melanie an amazing client but became such a dear friend which is always a blessing in the military world.  I also enjoyed getting to know L&E through email as we all worked together to create a birth preference plan which encompassed Melanie’s birthing wishes and L&E’s wishes for Teacup.  Birth plans are sometimes controversial in the hospital birth world as birth is unpredictable and sometimes doctors and nurses can view these well-intentioned plans as rigid lists that set birthing women up for disappointment when or if things don’t go as she has put into writing.  That being said, with the uniqueness of Baby Teacup’s birth, having a flexible birth preference plan in place made the most sense to ensure Melanie, L&E, myself, and all of the care providers had an idea about the vision L&E had for the birth of their daughter and for Melanie’s care during her birth.
             
As the end of November/beginning of December approached Melanie and I shared some phone calls that will forever be some of my favorite memories!  It appeared Baby Teacup was eager to join this world but it was hard to tell just when that would be.  I had the opportunity to hang out with Melanie in triage for a bit for an assessment which gave me a nice peek inside the labor and delivery wing the hospital that she would deliver, which is gorgeous!  We also met an amazingly kind nurse that night that left a lasting impression on me through her gentle and compassionate care of Melanie.  Melanie and I also spent a lot of time discussing when to have L&E travel in and it was a hard decision for Melanie to contemplate and one that she did not make lightly for fear that she would give them the “go ahead” and Teacup would settle herself back into her cozy environment. Fortunately, when she gave them the “go ahead” it wasn’t much longer before Baby Teacup would join this world.
            
 On December 14th Team Teacup had a beautiful brunch together to meet one another and snap some fun photos, as you saw previously on the blog.  This was a great way to put faces to names and really ensure everyone was ready to work together to support both Melanie and L&E as Baby Teacup entered the world.  We also had a lot of fun watching E chase Piper around the neighborhood and park and I think it gave L a tiny glimpse of her future.  It was a sweet moment.  We parted ways with plans to get together later in the week for tea in Old Town Alexandria.
              
As luck would have it, Melanie knows her body and Baby Teacup was showing signs at Melanie’s doctor’s appointment on the 16th that she was ready.  Melanie could now feel comfortable knowing she had called L&E at just the right time to travel in and have a bit of time to get settled before the journey ahead.  Melanie messaged me that morning that they were sending her to labor and delivery and with that I put my kiddos on the bus and headed her way. 

When I arrived everyone was in good spirits! L&E had run home to gather their belongings, Melanie was getting settled and comfortable in her beautiful birthing environment, and Kurt was helping set her up with love and encouragement.  I was eager to know the plan and excited that the nurse and doctor(s) that were caring for Melanie really were interested in the birth plan and were ready to ensure both Melanie and L&E felt supported in welcoming Baby Teacup.  Melanie was calm, collected, and her usual cheery self, making everyone laugh with her wit and humor!  

The morning and afternoon progressed rather easily and light-heartedly as we laughed, talked about life, and stories of how quickly Melanie’s other births were.  We all anticipated Teacup would arrive before dinner.  Melanie had a steady flow of care providers and hospital staff coming through to check on her, make sure all of the plans for both Melanie and L&E were in place, and at one point the baby nurses were even jokingly “fighting” about who would call dibs on being a part of this amazing experience.  It was all in great fun.  As Melanie and I had already had big plans to get pedicures that day, in true doula fashion, I whipped out some nail polish and prepared those toes for the big day!  I don’t think the doctors or nurses had ever seen a patient so easy-going, laid-back, or comfortable during her labor as to be in such a great, laughing mood and enjoy a pedicure during the experience.  Melanie had promised Nurse Sanchez she would be delivering Baby Teacup prior to shift change so the team was ready and excited.

As evening approached, shift change came and went, and hunger set in, things got a bit more serious.  Melanie was still her sweet and happy-self, of course, but she was ready to hand Teacup over to her loving parents so she could enjoy a nice juicy steak, baked potato with all the fixin’s, and maybe some broccoli.  Nurse Monica thought broccoli might be too gassy which made us laugh even more as we debated which dish Melanie should order from Outback Takeout because most certainly Teacup would be here before they closed.  We somehow began taking bets on how big Miss Teacup would be since she decided her grand entrance was necessary three weeks early…little did we know, Nurse Monica means business when it comes to winning bets! She got out some paper, a pen, and recorded everyone’s guesses with a right to change her guess since she was the nurse!  This is how the early evening went, light-hearted, easy, and so much laughter…but as late evening approached the discomfort began to really set-in.  (Melanie adding this -- None of us guessed that teacup would be as big as she was either!  We were all in the lower 7-8 lb range)

Melanie had been quite active throughout the labor experience getting up and down to use the restroom often, stretching and standing, lunging and rocking throughout the day.  As things became more uncomfortable in her lower back and pelvis Melanie had a sneaking suspicion that Baby Teacup just might be positioned posteriorly but the midwife neither confirmed nor denied this and said to just keep moving and stay positive.  Intuition sure is a powerful thing!  So we got the birth ball out and Melanie kept moving, rocking, swaying…I asked if counter-pressure would help and we tried that with no relief.  She asked if I would try the double hip squeeze and voila!  That was what her body needed.  I have tried this with several other women and she was the first to find it helpful and necessary.  Once this began she absolutely needed that pressure and relief the hip squeeze provides to cope through her contractions.  She began getting quite shakey, nauseous, and even lightly pushy so we though with certainty that transition was here and got L&E ready…but it was just not the case yet.  At this point Melanie had been in labor for over 16 hours, had only water, popsicles, and jello for nourishment, and had very little sleep the night before so it was normal to expect that she was exhausted but at the same time, she was determined and ready to work hard to bring Teacup into the world.  We got the diffuser going, beautiful music going, dim lights, and talked quietly and gently as Julie pushed one hip and I pushed the other and Melanie breathed beautifully through each contraction.
 
After several hours of coping but really feeling exhausted after so much energy and hard work Melanie made the decision to ask for an epidural.  We had discussed during her prenatal visits that epidurals can be wonderful tools to assist in relaxation and progression when exhaustion sets in and she was certain Teacup would make a speedy grand entrance so we didn’t focus much attention on epidurals but we knew that this was something Melanie was open to should a need arise.  When Melanie decided she wanted the epidural I, like I do with every client, wanted to make sure that she was confident in the decision and there was nothing else she wanted to try before calling the doctor in.  Melanie is extremely educated about birth so I had no doubt that she was making the best decision and I quickly got Nurse Monica to find the anesthesiologist.  Unfortunately, I don’t think he had ever seen a double hip squeeze before and I certainly couldn’t stop them so I squeezed during every contraction right up until he administered the medication.   He was patient and understanding but of course my hands were dangerously close to his “work space” so I understood his hesitation.  All in all though, he, like most of the other staff, was very willing to accommodate Melanie’s needs for comfort.  I didn’t tell Melanie but inside I was JUST a bit nervous as this was the first epidural I had witnessed.  I have had two epidurals and several spinal taps so I am not unfamiliar with the process but generally speaking my clients either have to be alone in the room with the staff as support or have their significant other as their plus one during this experience so I felt both honored to be part of yet another educational opportunity and experience and nervous that I wouldn’t know exactly how to support Melanie best during the procedure.  Fortunately, it went as planned and Melanie, like always, was amazingly strong during the entire thing.  Unfortunately, once the medication began to set in, only one side of Melanie’s body was numbing up.  I continued hip squeezes and encouraged Melanie to rest between contractions.
            
 Right around 4am Melanie told me she was feeling the urge to push and asked if I could get her nurse quickly (as we know when it’s time for Melanie, it is time!) and she came in and checked and I gently reminded her of the section of the birth plan that says not to speak the forbidden words (hint hint: labor down) so with that they said “okay, then let’s see what you got…” and said “whoa, wait, get everyone in here!” so I hurried and texted L&E and Julie and told them it’s REALLY TIME and to hurry! I got Melanie’s (dead—haha!) right leg and Nurse Monica got the other.  If it tells you anything about the mood, Nurse Monica was STILL joking about me having the “bum leg” and her having the “easy” leg at this point and while Melanie was still working incredibly hard she managed to chuckle a bit!  She is such a STRONG woman!  So, with that all of my attention focused to Melanie.  I could hear that there were a lot of people in the room but my only focus was on her.  She gave several mighty pushes then suddenly the resident froze—my heart jumped—and the next thing I know I hear “shoulder dystocia” and the nurse is pushing me to force Melanie’s leg up to what felt like her ears!  It was the first dystocia I had witnessed and after the minor little freeze up, the team moved like the experts they were and applied suprapubic pressure and sweet little Teacup was born quickly into L’s arms.  Melanie and I looked at each other with a “whoa, I don’t know if L&E realized what just happened” look but it explained so much of the discomfort Melanie was feeling.  Then, L came over and shared sweet baby Teacup’s name and hugged Melanie and I don’t think there was a dry eye in the room.  I made the mistake of “bragging” to Nurse Monica about how I have not cried at a birth (other than my own) and when the special moment came the tears just began to flow…hints the nickname, “The Crying Doula”.

 Like superwoman, Melanie recovered quickly and was back to asking for her steak and baked potatoes shortly after she was cleaned up and comfortable.  Unfortunately, Outback was indeed closed but they managed to find her a breakfast menu and she was able to order as much as her sweet heart desired.   We packed up and moved everything to the postpartum area where they had yet another generous sized room.  It didn’t take long before the amazing Melanie was up and moving around situating her things, showering and freshening up, and reflecting upon the events that had just transpired.  I left Melanie to rest while I went home and got a little sleep myself before coming up to spend some time with her later that day.  When I arrived Melanie gifted me the most beautiful essential oil diffusing necklace and balance oil.  In true Melanie fashion, she had so thoughtfully and kindly taken the time to have something so special personalized for me.  Once again, I got a little teary eyed! 

 I cannot thank Melanie and L&E enough for the honor and privilege to be part of this amazing experience.  I have learned so much about surrogacy, special birth experiences, and made an incredible friend in the process.  Melanie truly is one of the most remarkable women I have ever met.  Every decision made during the pregnancy and birth Melanie carefully considered what was best for Teacup, what L&E would like for their daughter, and last, what her feelings were in the matter.  She is always putting others first.  She is without a doubt one of the most dedicated, sincere, and genuine people I have ever met.  I know it was meant to be that we end up meeting through the birth of Baby Teacup and become forever friends through the process.  

To check out the services that Melissa offers through her business, please go to her FB page and 'like' it Anchored in Hope Facebook Page and her business website Anchored in Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment